The major schemes implemented through the Training Wing of the Labour Department are
- Craftsman Training Scheme
- Apprenticeship Training Scheme
- Skill Development Mission
- Centrally sponsored Schemes
Craftsman Training Scheme: Training to unemployed and School leaving youths are imparted under Craftsman Training Scheme. The trained youths are awarded with certificates through NCVT and SCVT. The training is imparted through Government ITIs and Private ITIs affiliated either through NCVT or SCVT. The objective of the CTs is to raise the quality and quantity of the industrial production by systematic training of workers. There are about nine GITIs and eight PITIs in the UT.
- Govt. I.T.I. for Men, Mettupalayam, Puducherry.
- Govt. I.T.I. for Women, Puducherry.
- Govt. I.T.I. Nettapakkam, Puducherry.
- Govt. I.T.I. Bahour, Puducherry.
- Govt. I.T.I. Villianur, Puducherry.
- Govt. I.T.I. for Men, T.R. Pattinam, Karaikal.
- Govt. I.T.I. for Women, T.R. Pattinam, Karaikal.
- Rajiv Gandhi Govt. ITI, Mahe.
- Nethaji Subash Chandra Bose, Govt. ITI, Yanam.
Training is imparted in 21 designated trades under NCVT with trainee’s strength of 2373 and in nine designated trades under SCVT with trainee’s strength of 283.
Apprenticeship Training Scheme: Apprenticeship training scheme is implemented under Apprentice Act, 1961 with as State Apprenticeship Adviser in respect of the Government and Private Sector Establishments in the UT of Puducherry. There are 1039 locations in 353 establishments in the UT. The targeted beneficiaries under the scheme are the ITI passed out trainees. The present focus is towards informal sector and retail sector.
Skill Development Mission: The skill development activities like imparting of employable short term course, conduct of Modular Employable Courses (MES) for unemployed youth, School drop-outs and Industrial workers are being conducted by the Puducherry Skill Development Society (PSDS).
Centrally Sponsored Scheme: The following Centrally Sponsored Schemes are implemented by the Department.
- Promotion of GITIs under Public Private Partnership (PPP). Four GITIs are covered under this scheme with loan fund of Rs.2.5 crores for each ITI.
- Promotion of existing GITI as Model ITI is proposed to be implemented at Govt ITI for men, Mettupalayam, Puducherry. The scheme fund is Rs.5 crores.